Thursday 24 September 2015

(Early) 1980’s Beef Flavoured Monster Munch packet /'Monster Facts & Figures’

Not only is this one of the oldest item in my Monster Munch collection but it is also the earliest memory I have of the brand itself. The ‘classic’ pink monster design on the front of the packet and absence of a sell by date and bar code confirms what I already know, that this is from the early 1980’s. I say confirmed because I fondly remember my mother picking me up after school and buying me Monster Munch and as I would eat “the biggest snacks that pennies could buy” I would read the ‘Monster Facts & Figures’ located on the back of packs. Here we find The Catoblepas! Apparently, “This is a wild beast with a very heavy head. In fact, it was so heavy it could hardly carry it, which was just as well for everyone around. Anyone who looked into its eyes fell dead on the spot. We do feel sorry for it in some ways though, it’s probably never seen a bag of Monster Munch.


Monster Munch seldom alerted consumers to the potential dangers of its monsters, making this an interesting curio from the past.
Do you remember Monster Facts & Figures? Post a comment below and share your memories!

© Arfon Jones 2015. All images are copyrighted throughout the world.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing, would love to see more examples of these - my avenue of learning about mythical beasts came from Monster In My Pocket (rubber monster toys from the early nineties, remember?). For them, the Catoblepas was a shaggy beast with wings and a fairly small head (but it WAS lowered to the ground at least).

    That catoblepas there on your packet is hilarious! Any idea who drew it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about the Catoblepas but it was revealed to me last night that cartoonist Gray Jolliffe drew the original Monster Munch monsters on the front of packs (the design they reverted back to) I must chase this up… I too would like to see more of them. As for Monster In My Pocket and if I remember them, please chick this out… http://arfonjones.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/operation-bath-duck-update-11.html ;)

      Delete
  2. Hey Do you remember the NASNAS monster that looked like a contorted bent over muscular naked one legged man with one arm and a half face? it was one of those monster facts and figures.

    ReplyDelete